April 27, 2015

What medical expenses will the insurer pay for?

In general, any medical expense arising from the car accident not covered by your health plan, extended health benefits plan or OHIP are payable by your automobile insurer. This may include, but is not limited to:

  • medical
  • surgical
  • dental
  • optometric
  • hospital
  • nursing
  • ambulance
  • audiometric
  • speech-language pathology services
  • chiropractic
  • psychological
  • occupational therapy
  • physiotherapy
  • medications
  • prescription eyewear
  • dentures and other dental devices
  • hearing aids
  • wheelchairs
  • prostheses, as well as orthotics
  • and other assistive devices

However, the benefits that may be available to you will depend on whether your injury fits certain legally defined injury categories and whether you purchased optional insurance coverage before the accident. Additional benefits are available to you if you are very seriously injured; this is referred to as “catastrophic impairment”. If you are considered catastrophically impaired, you are also entitled to a case manager to help you co-ordinate all of your medical and rehabilitation needs.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact us.